Category Archives: Uncategorised

Councillor vacancy – Crowlas Ward

Application form – word document (to down load and fill in on your laptop):

Application form – pdf version, to print and fill in by hand:

Vacancy for Parish Councillor – Crowlas Ward

Ludgvan Parish Council needs a new team member. If you think you can make a change for your community at a local level, complete the application form for this voluntary (unpaid) role and return it to the clerk by 5pm, Tuesday 5 December 2023.

What do councillors do?

There are three main parts to the work of a parish councillor:

  1. Decision Making – through meetings and attending committees with other councillors, decide which activities to support, where money should be spent, what services should be delivered and what policies should be implemented.
  2. MonitoringCouncillors make sure that their decisions lead to efficient and effective services by keeping an eye on how well things are working.
  3. Getting involved locally – as local representatives, councillors have responsibilities towards their constituents and local organisations. These responsibilities and duties often depend on what the councillor wants to achieve and how much time is available, and may include:
    1. Going to meetings of other organisations
    1. Going to meetings of bodies affecting the wider community
    1. Taking up issues on behalf of members of the public

How much time does it take up?

Quite often councillors say that their duties occupy them for about an hour a week. Obviously there are some councillors who spend more time than this – and some less, but in the main, being a parish councillor is an enjoyable way of contributing to your community, and helping to make it a better place to live and work.

As a councillor representing your community you will help keep it a great place to live and work. You will be supported in your role and will be expected to undertake training. You should be comfortable working with IT. You should have a positive outlook and a ‘can-do’ attitude, and be willing to work as part of a team.

The closing date for applications is 5pm on Tuesday 5 December 2023.

Louise Dowe, Clerk, Ludgvan Parish Council        t. 07928 813 653

Councillors: Qualification

See the Local Government Act 1972, sections 79 to 82, 85,92 and 104.

A person is qualified to be elected as a local councillor, and to hold such office, if they are a qualifying Commonwealth citizen, or a citizen of the Republic of Ireland, or a relevant citizen of the [European] Union, and on the relevant day (defined below) has reached 18 years of age AND –

  1. On that day they are, and thereafter continues to be, a local government elector for the area of the authority; or
  2. They have, during the whole of the 12 months preceding that day, occupied, as owner or tenant, any land or other premises in that area; or
  3. Their principal or only place of work during that 12 months has been in the area (Note: this could, arguably, be “the local council’s offices” – based on his previous principal or only work as a councillor);  or
  4. They have, during the whole of the 12 months, resided in the area; or
  5. They have, during the whole of the 12 months preceding the relevant date, resided within 3 miles of the parish or community. This qualification only applies to parish or community councillors and does not extend to district or county councillors (s. 79(1) LGA1972).

The ‘relevant day’ means (except in the case of an election not preceded by the nomination of candidates) the day on which the person is nominated as a candidate and, if there is a poll, the day of election. In the expected case, the term means the day of election.

In order to qualify on the basis of residence, it is necessary for the person at least to have and use sleeping accommodation within the area or within three miles thereof; and it is possible for a person (eg a student) to be a resident in more than one place at a time.

A member qualified under (b), (c), (d) or (e) above continues to be qualified during the term of his office even though they cease to be an elector or their situation is otherwise changed. However, a councillor qualified on the day of nomination and election only by virtue of them being a local government elector must continue to be a local government elector for the local council’s area during the whole period of their office. Note that registration on the electoral roll is essential to qualification as a local government elector.

Notice of Vacancy for Councillor – Crowlas Ward

To view the notice of vacancy for a parish councillor for the Crowlas Ward, please click on this link:

If by 31 October, 2023 a request for an election to fill said vacancy is made in writing (by hand or post) to the Returning Officer at Cornwall Council by TEN electors for the Crowlas Ward, an election will be held to fill the said vacancy, otherwise the vacancy will be filled by co-option. Full details are given in the notice.

Apply to be co-opted as a parish councillor

If you want to apply to the parish council to be co-opted as a parish councillor for the Crowlas Ward, a voluntary role, then follow this link for more details, eligibility, and an application form.

Applications to be received by 5pm, Tuesday 5 September 2023.

Co-option is scheduled to be decided at the meeting of the parish council on Wednesday 13 September 2023.

20 mph consultation – 8 September deadline

Cornwall Council has launched a public consultation on bringing in 20mph speed limits across West Penwith.

Click on this link to see the full public notice:

The aspect of the proposal relevant to Ludgvan Parish is set out below.

See the Notice at the link above for information on how to view copies of the Orders and documentation. Comments of support, objections or any other representations, must be sent in writing, with objections specifying the grounds on which they are made, to Cormac Solutions Ltd, Infrastructure Design, Radnor Road, Scorrier, Redruth, TR16 5EH.  Any representations must be received no later than the 8th September 2023Alternatively, you can respond to the email address above, or on-line by visiting:  Once registered, you will be able to submit responses to this and other current traffic consultations. 


20mph Speed Limit

Access to Carvossa Bank; Access to Kimberley; Access to Rear of Carvossa Terrace; Access to Rose Villa; Back Lane; Blowing House Hill from junction with Lower Quarter to 175m north-west of junction with Access to Carvossa Bank; Bowglas Close; Carvossa Estate; Carvossa Place; Castle Road from junction with Square to 80m north-west of junction with Bowglas Close; Chapel Square; Church Hill from junction with Lower Quarter to 186m south-west of junction with Long Lane, and from 150m east of junction with Access to Trethorns Carpark to junction with The Square; Chy-An-Gweal Estate; Eglos Road from junction with Square to 80m south-west of junction with Access to Bospras; Long Lane from junction with Church Hill to 63m south-west of junction with Chy-an-Gweal Estate; Lower Quarter; Polmor Road; River Valley View; Road Between A30 And Lower Quarter; Road Between Angwinack and Lower Quarter; Road From B3311 To Angwinack from junction with Road Between Angwinack and Lower Quarter to 10m north-west of junction with Access to Cannock Cottage; Road from Long Lane to Junction South of Ludgvan Leaze from junction with Long Lane to 90m south of junction with Fairfield; Rospeath Industrial Estate; Rospeath Lane from junction with A30 to 140m south-east of junction with Rospeath Industrial Estate; The Square; Tregender Lane from junction with Chapel Square to 50m north-east of junction with Tregender Road; Tregender Road.

30mph Speed Limit

Church Hill between 186m south-west of its junction with Long Lane and 150m east of its junction with Access to Trethorns Carpark.

Helplines for all sorts of things …

Tel-Signposting-List-March-22-updated.pdf (

Transformation Cornwall compiled a list of contact details for organisations providing help and support in Cornwall, this can be accessed through the link above.

Organisations provide help on a wide range of issues, including:

Alcohol/Drugs Asylum/Immigration Befriending Benefits/Financial/Debt

Bereavement Carers Children/Young People/Families Dental

Disability Domestic Abuse Employment support/training Energy Support

Exercise Gypsies, Roma & Travellers Homelessness/Rough sleeping

Housing LGBTQ+ Mental Health Modern Slavery Older Age

Social Care Single Parents Veterans Victims of Crime Volunteering

Cost of Living Crisis Support

Cost of Living Crisis Support – Advice from Cornwall Council – 5 October 2022

The cost of living crisis is causing worry for many people but if you don’t have enough to live on, there is help available. This includes the Household Support Fund and Cost of Living Payments.

Income maximisation is a good place to start by checking what benefits you can get.  People often believe they are receiving everything they are entitled too, but some benefits like Council Tax Support and Pension Credit regularly go unclaimed. 

Some benefits are “passport benefits” so if you claim one you can claim others.  You can do a Benefit Check at the link below:

You should also consider a budgeting tool to ensure that you are effectively managing the money you are getting in.  There are several online tools, one from Citizens Advice and one from MoneyHelper are available below:

Local advisers are available to assist, for instance at Citizens Advice, or contact your local Cornwall Councillor or MP’s office.

Most benefits can be paid early. This is known as a ‘short term benefit advance’. A small amount will be taken off future payments to pay it back – usually for 12 weeks.  You can ask the Job Centre about this.

Cornwall Council might help you pay for things like:

  • your energy and water bills
  • food
  • essential items – for example, clothes or an oven

This help is known as the ‘Household Support Fund’. You can contact Cornwall Council on 0300 1234 121.

You don’t have to be getting benefits to get help. If you do get benefits, they won’t be affected if you start getting money from the Household Support Fund scheme.

The government will give every household in Great Britain £400 off their electricity bill. This is called the Energy Bills Support Scheme. You don’t need to do anything to get the money and you won’t have to pay it back.

You’ll get the £400 in 6 instalments starting from October 2022. You’ll get £66 in October and November, £67 in December, January, February and March

If you have an electricity meter and pay your bills every month or quarterly, your supplier will automatically take the amounts off your energy bill each month.

If you have a prepayment meter, your supplier will confirm how you’ll get the £400.  This will either be automatically added to your energy meter (if you have a smart meter) or they will give you the instalments as vouchers by email, text or post

If you get vouchers, you’ll only be able to use them for your own energy account and if you are unsure, please contact your energy provider.

If your household is in council tax A-D, you should have received a £150 council tax rebate from the government. You should have got this in April 2022 – you don’t need to pay it back.  If you haven’t got your council tax rebate, you should contact Cornwall Council.

The government will also send you extra one-off payments if you get certain benefits – for example, Universal Credit, PIP or Attendance Allowance, or are over State Pension age and get Winter Fuel Payments

You can get as many of these extra payments as you’re eligible for. You won’t have to pay tax on them and they won’t count as income when calculating your benefits.

The government will give every household in Great Britain £400 off their electricity bill. This is called the Energy Bills Support Scheme. You don’t need to do anything to get the money and you won’t have to pay it back.

You’ll get the £400 in 6 instalments starting from October 2022. You’ll get, £66 in October and November, £67 in December, January, February and March

Those households not on standard gas or electricity contracts, such as those living in park homes or on heat networks – and so outside the scheme – will receive support equivalent to both the Energy Price Guarantee and the Energy Bills Support Scheme.  Customers do not need to take any action in order to receive this support, which they will receive by the end of the year.

Those households who are connected to the electricity network but who use fuels other than gas, such as heating oil, to heat their homes will still receive support through the Energy Price Guarantee for their electricity costs, as well as the Energy Bills Support Scheme.

If you are not able to receive support for your heating costs through the Energy Price Guarantee (for example because you live in an area of the UK that is not served by the gas grid), the Government will also provide an additional payment of £100 to compensate for the rising costs of other fuels such as heating oil.  This is intended to guarantee you will receive support equivalent to those on both the electricity and gas grid for the total cost of your energy.

You can see more below:

If you are worried about the cost of your energy bills, speak to your provider.

You might be able to get extra money from a charity. Some of these charitable grants are open to everyone, others might be available to you based on your situation – for example, your health or your previous or current job.

You can check what is available on the Turn2Us website below:

If you are over 55 and have a personal pension, you might be able to take some money from your pension savings to help pay for essential costs or to pay off your debts.  Taking money from your pension will mean you have less income when you retire. If you’re getting benefits, taking money from your pension could affect your claim.

Before doing this please get advice from Pension wise at:

You can also get further help from MoneyHelper at the link below:

You can get excellent advice and information from Community Energy Plus.  They produce leaflets and factsheets on everything that is available and eligibility.  You can see more below:

You can call them on 0800 954 1956

You can also see their Winter Wellbeing guide at the link below:

To see their factsheets please go to link below:

Citizens Advice have a comprehensive website and you can see this below:

They will advise on any matters, including money and debt and you can see more on this at the link below:

To contact your local Citizens Advice, Text the word ADVICE to 78866 and you will receive a call back with 10 working days.  Alternatively call Adviceline on 0800 144 8848 Monday to Friday 10am to 4pm

Please do get help as soon as possible, the organisations mentioned above will help in any way they can.

Your mental health is as important as your physical health. You should talk to your GP if your money problems are affecting your mental health.